Has you car ever got stalled midway due to electrical faults? Such a scenario is quite frustrating, isn't it? However, proper maintenance of the electrical system of your car can go a long way in ensuring that it gives a trouble free performance in each and every drive. The electrical system of a car consists of battery, alternator, starter and fuses. In case you are wondering how to undertake maintenance of all these parts, then the tips given in the following lines are sure to come handy to you.
Car Electrical System Maintenance Tips
- - One of the most important aspects of the electrical system is the battery. You need to keep in mind that the car battery needs to be changed after every four years.
- - The cables of your car battery need to be so tight that they do not move at all. If they are not so, contact a mechanic. At the same time, take the battery for a load test every month, to make sure that it is charging properly.
- - Check the water level in the battery on a regular basis. If, and when, you find the level to be low, add water immediately. However, make sure that you use distilled water only
- - Make sure to measure and record the alternator output, both rated and sustained, on a regular basis and bring it to the notice of the mechanic every time you take the car for a service session.
- - Pay proper attention to the alternator, starter and fuses of the car electrical system. They need to undergo regular check as well as servicing, just like the other parts of your car.
- - Most of the people are aware of the fact that a dead battery can be brought back to life by using a battery charger. However, hardly a few of them know that it is possible to overcharge a battery as well, adversely affecting its life as well as performance. So, always be a little cautious while getting your car battery charged.
- - Always keep you car battery in the tray designated for the same. At the same time, make sure to clean the battery on a regular basis, to avoid the formation of any crust. You can use a solution of water and baking soda for the purpose, along with a toothbrush.